Toughest interior 'gloss'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to repaint my woodwork including skirting boards.

I'd like a semi-gloss/low gloss/eggshell effect (rather than shiny full gloss look). I'd also like an off-white cream/beige colour rather than bright white.

So, my question is, what is the toughest type of gloss paint to use? I'm not fussed about solvent or water based (unless there's no toughness difference, in which case I'll go low-VOC/water). Don't care how hard it is to apply given that if its a tougher paint, I'll have to do it less often.

Cheers
Dave

Sponsored Links
Oil Based Eggshell will do it. Have a look at the paint samples at your supplier for colour 10B15. This is a BS colour often described as "milk white". It is sort of creamy like Cornish ice cream. as it is a BS colour it is easy to get it again although it will probably be a Mixed colour.

Or you could use Almond white/Bossom White/Barley White/Rose white etc which are readily available but you may have to get them mixed if you want Eggshell. They should be available in Satinwood which is quite common.

If you go do a major paint supplier or decorators centre they should be abe to show you samples so that you can decide which finish you prefer.

Only thing with eggshell is that it has a porus finish in that if you get dirty mark on it and try and wipe it off you end up rubbing it into the paint surface. Satin wood would prob be better and more servicable. Similar finish as well to egshell.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the responses - I've gone for almond white eggshell in the end (Dulux trade) and have been very impressed with the finish, just the right level of sheen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back