Tracing a dead telephone extension cable

Thanks for all the help, not sure I know any BT engineers unfortunately! My intention was to route the cable externally so save me cutting channels in a load of walls that don't need it. Its not a problem because the downlead from the telegraph pole follows almost the exact route I want to use for my extension cable. The real problem is that the extension socket is on an internal cavity wall between an old single storey extension and a newer (2004ish) 2 storey extension.

I'm pretty convinced the cable will pop out at the top of that wall on the 2nd floor and then find some other route to wherever the old master/junction box was. I do have an old GPO junction box in the porch and some 2 core wire running from it into a wall (I haven't got a clue where that goes either), does this sound like a possible connection for the extension socket? If so what's the best way of finding out? Should I wire up a 9 volt battery to the pairs then check with a Fluke or is there a slightly less Heath Robinson approach?

Sponsored Links
Yep twist two of the spares together and check for continuity ! That will help you identify the correct cable. I hope your not saying to run your extension along the external side of the house ?

Only running right next to the wire coming in from the telegraph pole, I'm going to route the rest of the extension wire from the socket in question to the loft internally then out of an airbrick in the loft and vertically down the side of the house next to the wire from the telegraph pole and into the back of the master socket through the same hole drilled by BT.

Does that sound a rubbish plan? Any better suggestions please let me know, I'm not overly confident with chiselling out channels in the wall. Thanks!

Snag with your plan is that phone cable designed for internal use does not weather very well when on the outside of a building.

Sponsored Links
That why I said don't run it external. I thought we had already established the cable was run in existing conduit within the wall. If so pull the new cable through the conduit and then route it round to the master socket under the carpet upstairs and then from there find youre route to the master socket. Thats only if you are sure you cannot find a connection on the existing cable

Yep I get it now, I was having a bit of a moment there obviously! I'll let you know once I've found out where that cable is! Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back