Tracing a ring main interconnect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like the two ring mains in my house appear to be interconnected. It's not a large property, and has three power circuits.
1. Radial on a 20A MCB powering 2 13A sockets (bedroom 1 and lounge). No problems here.
2. Ring main on 32A MCB that appears to be for the downstairs - kitchen, lounge, hall, front room down stairs (total of 5 double sockets)
3. Ring main on 32A MCB for upstairs - 2 bedrooms, landing

It seems that there is a connection between the two rings. How would I go about tracking it down to eliminate it?

Cheers, folks.

Sponsored Links
How do you know its an interconnect?
If it is because you have to turn off both of the 32A mcbs to isolate the power on the rings then it is probably because someone has mixed up the live conductors of the rings

(eg 1 leg of each ring into one MCB and 1 leg of the other ring into the other MCB.)

A simple continuity test on the conductors at the board should tell you if this is the case. if not, come back, hey come back anyways!

It's beacuse of the latter - the need to turn of both MCBs. Thanks for the tip - I'll do a continuity test and see if it is just simply a mix up with the ends of the rings. I won't be there untill next week, so will report back then.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back