Traditional GF slab Vs Block & Beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are weighing up our options for the GF "slab" as we prepare for the start of our extension.

I have attached the plan below. The existing rear patio which sits where the extension will go is about 400-500mm below the FFL of the existing house. Assuming the patio is to be removed or partly removed this level difference will be more like 700mm+, a large void to fill with a traditional slab?

I was talking to friends at the weekend who have used beam and block for their extension and until then i had never given it a thought but am now wondering if this would be a better option? Could the patio be left there with some oversite concrete to ensure nothing ever grows down there then the B&B floor sits above this giving a lovely ventilated void. I could then run the services underneath before screeding/UFH.

I have seen some negative opinions on B&B so was after some expert advise.

Attachments

• GF.pdf
    68.6 KB · Views: 182
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back