Training...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello forum, excellent site you have here!

My query is basically about training to become a painter and decorator. I have applied to my local college as a mature student (I am 23 :LOL: ) and have recently enrolled on a Painting and decorating ICA (intermediate construction award). My plan is to complete this 2 year course and start my own small business. I will be going to college 1 day a week for a full day.

Please could anyone help me with these few questions:

1) has anyone else on the forum done the same course and can offer any advice, tips or general feedback on how it went, recommended?

2) Is there generally a high demand for painters and decorators compared to other trades such as plasterers etc.

Many thanks and I look forward to your help, cheers ;)

Sponsored Links
JayUK said:
Is there generally a high demand for painters and decorators compared to other trades such as plasterers etc.
I think you got to do what you enjoy doing, they is a high demand for all the building trades because of this government policy. I do know we're shortage of plumber's and some can earn good money in the right area, good luck to them.

It is a difficult one to answer depending what area you're working from. Do you want earn more money doing plumbing than paint & decorators ? Plumbing is more hassles than painting in my view, only you can decide. The problem I finding with paint & decorater, there are too many cowboys think they're qualify just by holding a brush without proper training but it's the same for most trades.

I did do a painting & decorating for a year and didn't realise how much there is to know but left and went onto City & Guilds for Carpentry & joinery & Bricklaying. I also did 2 years City & Guilds in plumbing but didn't completed it. I has too much to do !

Good luck to whatever you do.

A lot of people will avoid doing any building, wiring or plumbing work (and many more should do anyway!). However, most people will grab a brush and redecorate without a second thought.

The advantage you have through P&D is that people redecorate more often than they get a new bathroom or a rewire. So whereas fewer people will call you out, they will call you out more often.

Another pro: you get to have that fresh paint smell wherever you go, like the Queen. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back