Tranformer for B&Q light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a light with 12 LV bulbs, it's like a chandalier. After a few weeks the light would go on and off, then just permanently off. So I took it back to B&Q and got another. This one has lasted about a year but the same thing has happened. Is it worth buying a new transformer and fixing it myself? I can't take it back as it was a year and I have no receipt now.

I really like the light and maybe the transformers are just not powerful enough for the 12 lamps? It is a HUIBOLONG HTV160C1 50-160W electronic tranformer for lv halogen lamps.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I really like the light and maybe the transformers are just not powerful enough for the 12 lamps?
Are the lamps you are using between 5 & 13W?

It is a HUIBOLONG HTV160C1 50-160W electronic tranformer for lv halogen lamps.
It is almost certainly poor quality, made down to a price to satisfy the buyers for sheds who scour the world for cheap tat to put on their shelves.

If it is the transformer at fault and you like the light then your best bet would be to replace the transformer with an external one of reputable make (e.g. IBL - I'm sure other people here can suggest additional alternatives) cabled into the light fitting.

Sponsored Links
Are the lamps you are using between 5 & 13W?
Yes they are 10W

If it is the transformer at fault and you like the light then your best bet would be to replace the transformer with an external one of reputable make (e.g. IBL - I'm sure other people here can suggest additional alternatives) cabled into the light fitting.[/quote]

Ok, I have had a look at IBL.co.uk, can you advise me what type to get at all? Thanks a lot.

4371.00 looks like a good'un.

Superb, thanks. I have phoned them and they don't sell to public usually but they were cool and I just have to send them a cheque for it - 42.90 + Vat.
Thanks for your help. I'll post when it's fitted, hopefully with good news.

You should shop around for other suppliers and other makes.

I would but I am not sure what I am looking for exactly! I know it needs to be at least 120W, and the size of the one you suggested looks right for popping into the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back