Transportation of Bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have an opportunity to purchase 3 pallets (500 bricks per pallet) of some really nice face bricks at £75 a pallet for a garden project of mine. Trouble is transporting them to my house. I have rung around for Hiab hire but none of them have a brick grabber. The pallets will be lifted onto whatever hire vehicle I decide on, but obviously when I get back to my house, it's a case of having them lifted off. My backs not up to manual stuff.
1st question: Do I need a brick grabber? or will a hiab with a chain do?
2nd question: I need a skip for my garden project, so had an idea of asking the skip hire guy to call at the site where the bricks can be loaded into the empty skip, then I can take my time unloading them back home. Will 3 pallets of bricks fit into a builders skip? or is this a stupid idea?
Or does anyone else have any ideas?
I'm willing to pay £200 for transporting them and i've worked out the cheapness of the bricks (£75), i'll still be quids in.
Many thanks in advance.
Datadiyer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Cotswoldbuilders,

Yes, I may ring around for skip hire and ask their advice and whether they'd do it. I'd guess 3 pallets would be exceeding the height in a 6 yd skip, as long as the driver doesn't mind I suppose. Thanks, I wasn't sure if the skip was a good idea or not, as an amateur, I don't even know what a pallet of 500 bricks look like, only google images.
Cheers,
Datadiyer.

A skip hire company would not take 3 pallets loaded one on top of the other on the back of a wagon. When they're delivered from the factory the pallets are usually only 1 high.

Have you thought about a man with a van or something like that?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks limerockconstruction,

I see what you mean, although I was maybe thinking of a 12 or 14 cubic yard skip, although I think the bigger the skip, the less dense materials can be loaded due to the weight. I'm not sure then if 3 pallets would stack 1 high side by side. I guess i'll have to take a tape measure down a builders merchants, measure the dimensions of a pallet of 500 bricks, then ask the skip guy would 3 fit in 1 high. A man with a van would mean he'd have to wait for me to unload 500 bricks each time, 3 trips I guess. I think it may be a waste of money due to the time involved in the hire of the van and waiting for me to unload (and my back isn't the best).

Thanks,
Data.

Mate loads of Men with vans will load and unload for you if your back is bad. As long as its not massive mileage, 200 notes should easily cover it.

What sort of distance are you talking? The local scrap lads would probably do it.

A hiab with chains would do. Two short lenghs of scaffold tube shoved through either end of the pallets, then fasten a chain to each end of tube.

Thanks limerockconstruction,

I didn't think of man with van actually unloading. I wouldn't have thought they'd be interested. I'll give a few of them a ring though now you mention it.
Joe-90, i'm only talking about 4 miles, about 15 - 20 mins by car.

Cheers,
Data.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back