Traps / drainage / smells. please help

Sponsored Links
I can't believe I'm updating this but I still seem to have new problems - and now I'm really out of ideas.

since the pipe was capped there appears to be a general odour that's in the house. present in the bathroom and hallway and all over really apart from bedrooms. All I'm certain about is that it started when the pipe was capped. Its not hold your nose bad but it's pretty unpleasant and its constant unless the window's open

I opened the manhole outside and put in smoke pellets, plenty of smoke came out the vent stack and no smell of any smoke anywhere at all in the house. So it can't be an open trap. But it does smell like drains. Unless this is what the start of a dead rat smells like and it's going to get worse. If it was a dead rat I would have thought it would be worse and in one location. This is kind of everywhere.

Sorry to be posting here again but does anyone have any more ideas - I've no idea where to start and I thougt I'd solved it only for a new problem to start.

Most likely a dead rat - and the smell travels more than you would believe! . We really need to know your ground floor layout re. wood/concrete floors and position/size of airbricks. Can you post a drawing?. Here at home I battle a "damp wood" smell from under the floor - house is only 1960's but had decades of inadequate air ventilation under the floors which got right into the boards. Luckily no rot but some woodworm which I had to cut out and treat etc. Changed the airbricks for plastic ones and added some extras. I'm sure the forum will resolve your problems one way or another;)

SOLVED..

Nige F is a clairvoyant. it was a dead rat. I've had no smells for 3 weeks now. I took up the floorboards again today, 4 weeks after my last post. Nice dead rat waiting for me in the trap

just as an aside, the smell was only bad for about ten days, reaching a peak and then totally disappeared. even then it wasn't puke inducing awful - so maybe I was lucky, but I had expected 2 months of something foul from what I'd read online..

anyway thanks again. hopefully it really is solved this time.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back