Tread depth and changing tyres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The limit is 1.6mm but should they be changed much earlier? I know the germans change them at 5mm

Sponsored Links
The limit is 1.6mm but should they be changed much earlier? I know the germans change them at 5mm

5mm? They've only had about 2mm of wear by then! Most places recommend 2 or 3mm. It's up to you really, how skint are you, do you drive a lot in the wet and so on. I change sooner rather than later with about 2or 3 mm but then I do about 20k a year just commuting.

Officially, change them when the tread is down to the wear indicators, but you'll get much better grip in the wet and snow if the treads are deeper.
It may be worth fitting winter tyres and then swapping them back later.
Personally, I wouldn't be changing my tyres at 5mm!
John :)

Ex test pilots would need 5mm, the rest of us, legal limit will do nicely thank you.

Sponsored Links
As already said 2-3mm. They get skittish in the wet after that. You might not realise how much until you have to brake hard or swerve.

And I don't drive fast or do a lot of motorway driving. . .

Thats probably only relevant to winter tyres which lose a lot of their effectiveness at below 4mm

Ah now you mention it i think it was the snow tyres.. Anyway i was thinking 3mm was reasonable before changing

My main gripe is that a relation took her car in for an mot.
they told ther one tyre was ok but would be a good idea to replace seeing as winter was coming on etc... and so forth.
I'm certain that tyre had 4mm on it.
the one they put on is as khumo? tyre for £48 :confused:

forgot tom mention the old tyre was a buget one, which had a significant (about 5mm deep) crease/dent forming on the tyre wall. don't know if it was struck or a manufacturing defect or what make it was, so can't decide if they did a favour of sorts or still ripped her off.
I feel a bit crap cos i recommended them :(

Sponsored Links
Back