Treating Dampness Before Decorating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys the subject has probably been done to death but any pointers would be appreciated anyway.

I live in a ground floor tenement flat built about 1902. 2 of the bed rooms have a couple of wall onto the tenement stair and both have an outside wall.
I don't think i have dampness as such but with modern heating and cold tenement stairs we can get a mustiness.

One or both the rooms will be getting stripped and decorated next year.

Is there anything i should be applying to the outside walls that will help keep out any dampness/cold, prior to decorating.
Looking for something i can stick wallpaper onto.

Sponsored Links
I've used Wallrock Thermal Liner a few times and have to admit that I thought it was a bit of a gimmick, but the customers I used it for have said it has worked a treat with condensation problems and also helps increase the warmth of the rooms. It looks as good now as it did when first applied three years ago - with Wallrock Fibreliner lining paper applied on top and painted. It's recommended that you use a non woven paper on top of it to avoid problems with shrinkage.
It can be a pain to put up if you have external corners or window recesses to work around, and the adhesive MUST be applied thickly to achieve a good bond, but it seems to have been worth the trouble (and expense).

http://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/erfurt-mav-wallrock-thermal-liner.html

BTW, I'm assuming you mean to the interior of the external walls, as you mention wallpapering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back