Tree Stumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got any good ideas for removing tree stumps apart from digging and pulling them up? We've moved in an old house and there are 10 large stumps to remove which if pulled out would damage walls etc.

Sponsored Links
Ring around your local tree fellers to find one who can grind the stumps out.

Jason

tree surgeon?

i seem to recall there was a stump killer, but the name escapes me

You can get chemicals but if they are large stumps it can take several years to rot away. The grinders look like big rotavators and grind the stump 250mm or so below groundlevel, you can then plant or turf over the top. Would want them dug out if laying a patio overthe top.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jasonb. I will find out if anyone local can grind them out. I want to put a fence over the top of them so would need them out quick. Tree stump removing chemicals would take too long.

Stump killer is a weedkiller that is mixed with paraffin and poured into holes drilled down into the stumps.
The stumps eventually rot.
It's the same kind of chemical that the Americans used in Vietnam which was known as 'agent orange'.
It's a carcinogen so not recommended for use like it used to be when it was used in lawn weedkillers.
2.4D & 2.4.5T were mixed for this and is still available as a stump or brushwood killer.

you would be prety much wasting your time with any chemical stump remover...the generally dont work..
the trunk will rot eventually but this wil be due to natural causes...fungi...but you dont have the time for that.....
get a professional to grind the stumps out....... or you can hire good stump grinders (for professionals) for about £160 per day which will eat all sizes of stumps

Many trees dont die when they are felled.
Just look where there were loads of elm trees before the Dutch elm disease killed them 30 years ago.
New elms grow from the original roots but unfortunately they are unable to reach maturity.
The disease (fungal) kills them after 15 years and the cycle starts again.

as an expert, dig the stump out. If you have it ground out, all you get is a pile of soil and woodchip that you cant get rid of, and it doesnt remove all the roots. When you go to dog a hole for a fence, you will find them, and be annoyed!!
My mini digger goes through a 750mm gap, and with a 6" bucket, soon rips them out.
You can hire them from a local plant hire for around £80 a day, and that is about what it would cost to get it ground out.
Also, you avoid getting hiney fungus later on.

Happy Hiney is a diaper rash ointment developed by Dr. Charles Eldridge. Dr. Eldridge has been using Happy Hiney Diaper Rash Ointment ...

will this also clear up hiney fungus????????????

ooopss! sorry folks. I meant honey fungus. It attacks decaying wood and can kill perfectly healthy trees, plants and shrubs and will spread!!
be warned! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back