Triangular window - requirements?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We have had an extension built on the side/back of out house - classic early 20th century terrace. On the rear we have bifold doors and asked for a single panel window above it. This is right-angled triangular with long side at the lower edge, about 2.5 M along and just over a 0.5m straight up. When they have fitted it it looks like they have added two vertical bars so it looks like its three pieces of glass (incidentally these bars almost, but not quite, match the hinges on the doors below so doesn't look bad as such, - however its not what we asked for). My builder was unclear whether they have done it as three panels or one big one with the bars 'added for strength'. He also says that they have probably used 'ordinary glass' rather than 'strengthened' glass they will have used for the doors and a much larger floor to ceiling window in the side wall.

When we queried this our builder says the vertical bars are for strength and that the window company will not guarrantee the window without them, for example if a bird flies into it it is likely t crack. If thats the case then I can see the reasoning, although it would have been nice to know this when we ordered it rather than after the fitting.

So, is there a limit to the size/shape of a window we can use without using strengthened glass - and what are the limitations? And if we go for strengthened glass, what the proportional cost increase likely to be?

Thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
Just heard back - triangular window is BSEN 12510 and the doors and wall panel is BSEN 12150. Looking fro some stuff but a short explanation from someone who knows this stuff more than welcome.

Thanks again

Pete

Your builder has fobbed you off. That said did he have a drawing to follow or just a verbal mentioning at some point? Did he receive a drawing from the supplier that he approved?

all I can say is communication isn't his strong point - does things and wriggles later. And yes this panel was an aesthetic change - wasn't one at all originally but when we say the building go up it seemed a natural thing to do to make the most of the space. but we discussed it and he definitely understood our requirements because he initially told me it would have to be three panels. We questioned this and he asked the supplier and then he told us no it would be fine as a single panel. Day it goes in.....

Hasn't mentioned anything he got from the supplier. In addition the side wall panel is frosted. No idea how that happened - why wouldn't we want to look out of the dining room window? He's baling the supplier (who provided the fitters I beleive).

The missis is wobbling as it doesn't actually look bad and we want to get finished, but as I said, not what we ordered.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
final outcome? Spoke to the supplier and they admitted it was their fault that no information was communicated - so take back all the rude names I called our builder (but it wasn't a first offence, as it were) and they agreed to compensate us. Put that against having to wait for the replacement (could be this week but the initial delivery was three weeks late), put other work on hold etc decided we can live with it and prefer to get the rest of the extension finished this week.

pip pip

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back