TRV - Are they a waster of time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a plumber but a very, very good DIY'er

Just refitted my daugters bedroom and installed/piped in a new radiator (the old one approx was 20 years old)

THE PROBLEM:

Fitted a TRV and locksheild. Raditor is not getting very hot even when on the highest setting, bedroom is cold. Top of radiator is hot and bottom cold.

Have just taken off TRV and everything is OK. Radiator gets HOT.

Are TRV's just a waste of time?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You've probably got a faulty or cheap one. What make is it?

They are certainly not a waste of time

May very well be nothing to do with the valves. Tried balancing the system?

TRV is by Regla, purchased from B&Q.

Not sure wether balancing would make a difference as everything is working OK when TRV is off.

Sponsored Links
OK, Great but if cheap TRV's dont work (dont understand why this is the case - should I complain IE not fit for purpose!?) could you please recommend a TRV that will.

It has to be bi-flow as I am not aware of the pipe arrangements.

Cheers

Drayton TRV4s are one of the best. Bout £15

OK, Great but if cheap TRV's dont work (dont understand why this is the case - should I complain IE not fit for purpose!?)

You can always try, but I fear the words 'strong wind', 'against' and 'p**s' might come in to play.

are you sure when you put it back on the pin isn't getting stuck, that's just happened to me, i took it off fiddled with it, now it works fine!

try taking it back and say it doesn't work. you should get refund then buy a decent one!

Have just taken off TRV and everything is OK. Radiator gets HOT.

Did you remove the complete valve, i.e. replace it with a standard valve, or just remove the head to expose the pin? If the first, then suspect the TRV; but if the second, then the radiator may need balancing.

Where is the radiator in the chain of rads? If it is near the boiler/pump, try closing down the lockshield valve to reduce the flow through the rad. This will make the radiator get hotter.

All radiators need balancing, including those with TRVs. There is some useful information on balancing rads with TRVs at:

Drayton Commissioning Instructions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back