TRV on all rads with a Roomstat aswell

Install the CM927 in the lounge.

Set one TRV in the lounge to Max (this will be controlled by the thermostats); leave the other at 3.

If you turn a TRV off, the radiator will not heat up, so the room will never get warm, so the thermostat will never reach temperature and the boiler will run continuously.

Will balance all the rads this weekend.
Read How to balance a CH system

Sponsored Links
Install the CM927 in the lounge.

Set one TRV in the lounge to Max (this will be controlled by the thermostats); leave the other at 3.

If you turn a TRV off, the radiator will not heat up, so the room will never get warm, so the thermostat will never reach temperature and the boiler will run continuously.

Will balance all the rads this weekend.
Read How to balance a CH system

Could you please explain to me if you have a moment why i would have 1 trv on full and the other on 3 if i put the roomstat in the lounge?
Why shouldnt i open them both on max so the roomstat has total control of the lounge temp?

thankyou

You have stated that the lounge heats up faster than the rest of the house. If you have both lounge radiators controlled only by the room thermostat, the boiler may not be on long enough to heat the rest of the house before the room thermostat switches it off.

If it was me, I would upgrade the size of the hall radiator to achieve a comfortable temperature there. Fit 2 lockshields on it and put the room stat in the hall.

Sponsored Links
I have
2 rads in lounge - both TRV set to 3
1 rad in kitchen - TRV set to 2
1 rad in Utility Room - TRV set to 3
1 rad in Hall - TRV 3

1 rad bathroom - TRV 2
Rad in each of the 3 beds - TRV 1

The heat in the lounge gets to about 22 degs.
Do you keep your doors closed all the time - except when going in and out of a room?

If you don't, those TRV settings are meaningless as heat will easily travel from the warmer room to the cooler until the temperature has stabilized throughout the house.

Which make/model TRVs do you have (the temperatures for each number vary with manufacturer)?

Before doing anything, set the hall TRV to Max and monitor the effect.

I have
2 rads in lounge - both TRV set to 3
1 rad in kitchen - TRV set to 2
1 rad in Utility Room - TRV set to 3
1 rad in Hall - TRV 3

1 rad bathroom - TRV 2
Rad in each of the 3 beds - TRV 1

The heat in the lounge gets to about 22 degs.
Do you keep your doors closed all the time - except when going in and out of a room?

If you don't, those TRV settings are meaningless as heat will easily travel from the warmer room to the cooler until the temperature has stabilized throughout the house.

Which make/model TRVs do you have (the temperatures for each number vary with manufacturer)?

Before doing anything, set the hall TRV to Max and monitor the effect.

Sorry, only just saw this reply

Yes all doors are closed while heating is on
(apart from living room to kitchen door is left ajar for the kittens to pop in and out to eat/toilet etc)

I will pop the hall TRV on max and see if the hall heats up any more.
Think its a 1200 x 600 in the hall - double panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back