TRV query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I had a new boiler and TRV's fitted today. On the radiators there was a manual valve on one side and a valve that I couldn't adjust on the other. The plumber fitted the TRV's to the sides that had the valve that I couldn't move, leaving the manual valve on the other side. Is this correct (they are bi-directional TRV's).
I've been reading lots of forums and now I'm worried that my system isn't balanced properly.
Many thanks in advance,
Vicky

Sponsored Links
Bi-directional valves can be fitted either end. Balancing the system requires adjusting the other valve (lockshield) to restrict the flow of water through it, shutting down the rads nearest the pump more than the rads furthest away.

Hopefully your installer carried this out before he left.

Hopefully your installer carried this out before he left.

I'm not sure that he did - shall I call him back or is it not that important?

Sponsored Links
He should have changed over the valve cap so that you cannot change the opposite end from the TRV.

He clearly seems to be a little less than competent!

What he should have done is adjust each lockshield so that the rads are roughly balanced to give the same temperature drop of about 10-20°C.

In practice closing the valves and opening one turn will roughly balance them. Let them stabilise with all TRVs at max and if any are not quite as hot then open the valve a 1/2 turn. Any a bit too hot close valve a 1/4 turn.

Some will say that you dont need to balance a system with TRVs but thats not true and they are the ones who want to do the least work!

Tony

Sounds to me like your fitter did the job properly. Why do think otherwise? If you get all your information from internet forums you will be confused.

Hello again,

Well the fitter has just been back and told me that he hasn't balanced the system because "you don't need to with a combi boiler".

He also told me that the fact that the boiler has been installed 17cm away from the worktop is not a problem even though the installation guide that he left (from Worcester Bosch) states that the minimum clearance is 20cm.

Can anyone please advise me on what to do now? I felt unable to argue with him due to my lack of knowledge.

Many thanks,
Vicky

vjmills said:
Hello again,

Well the fitter has just been back and told me that he hasn't balanced the system because "you don't need to with a combi boiler".

He also told me that the fact that the boiler has been installed 17cm away from the worktop is not a problem even though the installation guide that he left (from Worcester Bosch) states that the minimum clearance is 20cm.

Can anyone please advise me on what to do now? I felt unable to argue with him due to my lack of knowledge.

Many thanks,
Vicky

All heating systems need balancing as best as possible, none will ever be perfect, that is how you get the required temperature differential between the flow and return.

If WB state 20cm, then 20cm it must be. If you don't fit to MI's then if you get a fault and they cannot access the part to fix/replace they won't fix it, telling you to go back to your installer. This is the same with all boiler manufacturers.

It seems to me that he has cocked up and is hoping to get away with it by trying to confuse what HE THINKS is a naive woman customer, something that really winds me up.

Call him back and insist he corrects everything even the 20cm gap, if he gives you a hard time then tell him you are going to call corgi, which you are entitled to do, and if he doesn't play ball, stick to it and call them.

We don't need installers like him giving the rest of us a bad name :rolleyes:

thoose self balancing wb's are the nuts, get the pr*t back asap

gas4you said:
[quote="vjmills

We don't need installers like him giving the rest of us a bad name :rolleyes:

We don`t need inexperienced Muppetts like you giving Installers a bad name ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back