TRV's - stupid question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can I ask a really daft question :oops: , on the basis that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask (!) - how can you tell when a radiator valve is a TRV? All the valves on my system look the same (Danfoss, dial 1 to 5), but I understood at least one in the system shouldn't be a TRV - which made me wonder if any of them are.
Main reason I ask is that I was intending taking each one off in turn to decorate behind, and if they're not TRV's assume it's safe enough just to close the valve and remove the radiator.
2nd question - when refitting, do any of the olives etc need replaced, or OK just to redo the ptfe tape?
Cheers!
Gavin

Sponsored Links
The numbers on them suggest they are TRV's. Lockshield valves are smaller. Do you have a heated towel rail in your bathroom that is part of the central heating system? If so it is probably fitted with lockshield valves.
You may not have to take your rads off to decorate behind them. Try putting a dish under each end of the rad and then loosen the fittings and lift the rad off it's supports and swing it away from the wall and lay it down on a suitable support then re-tighten the fittings.
Enjoy :LOL:

OK, thanks - I thought that was too obvious!
The valve at the other end is like a normal valve (ie there isn't a cap to remove to access the knob to close with pliers), assume that's not a problem.
Most of the rad pipes are coming straight out of the brick wall behind (ie no flxibility), so I think I would have to disconnect the rad completely to get it away from the wall?
No heated towel rail in the bathroom :eek:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back