trying to add 2 lights to a circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to wire 2 wall lights to a porch in my house. I have wired them up correctly but dont know how to connect them to a circuit. I have put a new switch for them next to the up and downstairs switch. I have drilled holes in the side of both switches and fed wires from my new porch lights into the existing up and down switch box. i have tried a few combinations as i have no idea were to put them. some dim some lights some do nothing. do i need to get a different new or old switch to wire them in, as i have just been adding, which is overloading more than likely? any advice would be great thanks.

Sponsored Links
You will be lacking a neutral in the switch (unless you have several black wires joined in a connector block in the back of the switch box), you can't just connect new lights directly to a switch,

What other electrical fittings are in the area?, once we know what you can get a cable to, we can tell you the appropiate method of connecting to it, for example connecting to a socket would require the use of a fused connection unit

You cannot conect the new lights into the switch unless you have a neutral to the back box.

Take your supply for the new lights from the nearest ceiling rose, or add a neutral to the back box from the nearest point ON THE LIGHTING CIRCIUT.

Under no circumstances, borrow a neutral from any other circuit.

cheers guys. how would i get a neutral to my new switch then? what could i run one from. wouldnt the light switch i placed my new one next too have one? would a 3 switch work, then i could have both up and downstairs using 2 switches and the other switch working my porch lights?
thanks.

Sponsored Links
a ceiling rose (or light fitting) or junction box on the same circuit will have a neutral you can connect to, don't even think about using a neutral from a different circuit.

Switches don't normally have neutrals in, however there are exceptions, this can usually be signified by a number of black wires in a connection block in the back of the switch box, but not connected to the switch.

Or if you have a socket nearby, you can disconnect the new lights from the existing switch totally, and power them from the socket circuit via fused connection unit (if you want to do this, say so and more details can be provided) just depends whether or not there is a socket close or not

Dame said:
i have tried a few combinations as i have no idea were to put them.
You really, really, really should not be attempting anything to do with electrics if that's the way you go about things.

You could kill yourself (and no - I am not exaggerating).

I put a new socket into the porch ( 2 meters or so away ) from my switch. contrary to belief my socket does actually work! see i do kind of understand electrics! so some info on how to use a fused connection unit would be great. cheers.

Hopefully not the same switch we are talking about in this thread.....

Seen that before - the socket across the switch contacts (red and black....live and neutral.....WRONG!!!!!!!)

Yes it works, with the appliance plugged in in series with a lightbulb!!!!!!!!!!!

See - you dont kind of understand electrics!

if your just ading anothe light to an excisting, why take it from the swithch, why not take it off the excisting light?

please note 7 which is here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back