trying to avoid draining a system...pipe freezers and bungs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to move a rad and to save draining down the system was thinking of using these pipe freezing sprays.

Do they work and are there any probs they can create.

Also I have seen these bungs on the market but am confused as to how to use them...

Help

Sponsored Links
Hi

Hire a pipe freezing machine (freeze master) for half a day from builders merchants much safer than cans of propelent.

HTH

If you're gonna freeze it; stay clear of cheap kits and bottles unless you are fast... As tincup suggests; hire one; well worth the money.

As for bung kits; I prefer the Regin kit; all you need to do is place one over the open vent and the other into the cold feed, for cold feeds that are not truly round and have the notches in them; buy a pack of blue-tak; mould it all together into a big lump and plug the cold feed with that.

Then drain some water from the system and the bungs will create a vacumn after half a bucket or so (Depending on the system size of course)... You can then safely work on a section of pipework without too much fear - Just don't leave the open ends unattended ;)

Just be warned; do not attempt to use bungs on PRIMATIC cylinders as you'll hear a funny noise and return to a cylinder that's 1/10th of it's original size and a nice spread of waterleaks as the vacumn crushes these cylinders quite nicely - Ideal for when you want to load them into the van and run them down the scrappy; but not very good for the house-owner. :evil:

Sponsored Links
If you like excitement use a cheap freezer kit. We do, and working against a ticking clock concentrates the mind wonderfully when all that is between you and the entire heating water content of a 15 apartment elderly persons unit is a tiny frozen plug is a sure fire cure for constipation.

Hire a decent kit for your own sanity. Mine went years ago. :confused:

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back