trying to fit new ceiling light in US

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - having a little bit of trouble fitting a new ceiling light - we are in the US. removing the old light fitting, which was working fine, I see a yellow and a white wire - (no red/black). The light fitting we purchased has two wires, plus a copper neutral. These wires are both brown, although one of the wires has a little white tag on on it. The instruction manual with the light we purchased says (connect black to black - and white to white) - you can see my problem...

I have a multimeter, but am not familiar at all with how to use it - or even if the multimeter we purchased in the UK is fit for purpose to use in the US in this instance.

Any help appreciated, Dean

Sponsored Links
I found this doing a web search. Hope it helps

The US National Electrical Code only mandates white (or grey) for the neutral power conductor and bare copper, green, or green with yellow stripe for the protective ground. In principle any other colors except these may be used for the power conductors.

Thus, I would anticipate, white is neutral, yellow is phase. Connect yellow to brown, and white to brown with white sleeve. Ensure the earths are connected as well!

Using the multimeter on AC volts. Yellow (+) to White (-) should show 110v. Yellow to earth should also show 110v. White to earth should show 0v (or almost 0v)

Sponsored Links
Back