Tumble Dryer MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Two years ago we had the main house fusebox replaced with the newer type that has MCB's. At the time the electrician made a comment about the wire type fusebox in the garage and wiring to the garage at the end of the garden. At the time it was just the odd power tool /pressure cleaner so he installed a B16 MCB. I now want to buy a 2600 watt tumble dryer to put in the garage but I am unsure whether the mcb and the cable it is protecting is up to the job. I know that I could buy a washer dryer to go in the kitchen but I would rather have a stand alone dryer. As I am now unable to contact the electrician I would be grateful of any advice.

John

Sponsored Links
B16 = 16 amps
2600 watts = 11 amps.

No need to change anything, unless the cable to the garage is already undersized.

Flameport

Thanks for your quick reply. The cable has been in the garden for 20+ years and is, I believe, armour cable. I do remember the electrician commenting that after the cable entered the house it was not glanded into the fusebox, what ever that means. Is there a way for someone unqualified like myself to check whether the cable is undersized.

John

Armoured cable should have a brass gland on each end to secure the steel armour wires. If not, then this could mean the armour is not earthed. Or someone may have attached another type of clamp to the armour.
Quite common to see it installed wrongly.

As for the size, some cables may have the size moulded into the outer insulation, but most do not. However, for a 16A circuit, almost all sizes of armoured cable would be fine, provided the circuit is not excessively long.

Sponsored Links
From old style fusebox in garage to the newer consumer unit is about 20m. I looked in the old style fusebox and the cable does connect to the earths into the garage wiring. I will buy the tumble dryer and see how I go. Many thanks to flameport.

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back