Turning off the power at the meter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I would like to power off my house from the meter, as I know parts of the consumer unit are still live even once the master switch is off.

In my old house it was pretty simple. Big red switch next to the meter.

New-Gas-Meter-2.png

In my new house the meter is different. I assume the key is in the label, that the switch it behind the cover and turning that switch will kill all the power to the consumer unit. I fully accept any responsibility here. I'm running a new ring from the consumer unit, then my local friendly sparky will connect it to the main consumer unit and test it.

boxpic.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm running a new ring from the consumer unit, then my local friendly sparky will connect it to the main consumer unit and test it.
Is he really so friendly that he will be prepared to lie to the council that he did all the work?

If he is an actual friend then you would be betraying that friendship by asking him to do that.

Sponsored Links
I know parts of the consumer unit are still live even once the master switch is off.
If it's been competently installed there will be no live parts which you could access without deliberate effort.

The same may well not be the case once you've removed the cover of that meter.

Any switch in the meter will be an isolator to be used off-load only.
Unless the entire consumer unit is being replaced, there is no reason for you or any electrician to use it.

Yup, if you are just wiring a new circuit, you don't really need to isolate the main tails.

Is there something you are not mentioning?

IIRC the meter isolation switches only disconnect the line conductor. Leaving the neutral still in play.
Can anybody confirm my belief ( only on this subject please!)

Well, not sure about that brand, but the Siemens one I came across many years ago had a switch labelled DP.

Call your supplier (not the dno) and ask them to install an isolator. They may charge, but for safety reasons they should do it.

Ps that's what I did, I had to argue with them for a while first, they said it would be 60 odd quid but they never actually took the money.
I've actually labelled their isolator as the main switch not the one in the cu as I've seen someone switch off the end mcb in an emergency thinking it was the main switch. Clearer to have the main switch on it's own.

The cover doesn't seem to have a seal on it. Remove the cover and see what is behind it. But as mentioned, if you are adding a ring to the circuit, then you only need to at most switch off the CU, unless you are replacing the CU at the same time.

as I know parts of the consumer unit are still live even once the master switch is off.

Please expand on this statement. Also, you say you have an electrician friend. Please expand on why you're doing any of this, as you switching a switch doesn't significantly help him/her do the actual job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back