Turning two regular doors into french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put doors between my dining room and conservatory where there is currently just an opening in the wall. I replaced all the internal doors in my house last year with untreated, knotty pine doors and would like this new doorway to have the exact same doors. Since the french doors they do don't come in knotty pine and french doors are generally too narrow for the size of the space I was thinking of putting two regular internal doors into the space instead, in order to fill the space and exactly match the other doors in the house. Is this possible and if so, how easy? I was thinking of hanging the two doors with one being fixed in position when closed with sliding bolts at the top and bottom, whilst the other door will be held closed by the usual handle, but with the bolted door doing the job usually done by a door frame. Kind've like the sort of set-up you might have in a summerhouse with two doors in your garden.

Dunno if any of that makes any sense or not, but any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The last new house I bought had the very same set up between the hall & lounge except the doors were fully glazed with Georgian panes. The doors were hung either side as you suggest but we had a through carpet without a threshold so the slave door had just a single shoot bolt in the top to hold it closed. The master door latched into the slave door with a normal lever latch handle with a dummy handle fitted on the slave door. To stop the doors rattling, I later fitted a ball catch into the top of the master door; they still used to rattle a bit if you shut the door too hard so if you have a threshold, I would also fit a shoot bolt on the bottom of the slave door. They doors were there for 18 years without any problems & still OK when we sold up 3 years ago.

Forgot to add, you will have to fit a timber liner the opening to take the doors.

Brilliant reply - thanks very much for your prompt reply.
The dining room is carpeted and the conservatory is tiled, so I'll put in a threshold to allow for a bottom bolt too.

Sponsored Links
dont forget to add a door stop around the frame for the doors to sit up against

you should also idealy rebate both doors half thickness to provide a door stop on the bolted door and stop people looking through the cracks and help prevent draughts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back