Twinplas gutter shrinkage in heatwave

ATO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted some twinplas plastic guttering to my mid terrace, the square type that replaces the old timber type. There's now an inch gap where it connected to next doors gutter. Can only think it's shrinkage from the heat. I wouldn't have expected so much but then it was very hot. Is this a common thing on this type of gutter? Am I going to have to replace it every time it gets hot? Now it's shrunk a bit is it likely to shrink so much again?

Sponsored Links
Rather than shrinking, the gutter has more likely 'walked' as it has expanded and contracted with changes in temperature.

Rather than shrinking, the gutter has more likely 'walked' as it has expanded and contracted with changes in temperature.
Surely it can't walk far if it's fixed with steel brackets into the wall with a screw into the bottom of the gutter?

Sponsored Links
I did wonder that actually. I just assumed it was mine at first cos it had only been up 3 days.

Did you put sealant In the connecting fitting and was that fixed to the fascia ... generally speaking gutters that have been sealed and screwed at all connecting points ( unions , square to round adaptors etc) do not move with expansion or contraction
Check other end of your gutter if yours has moved it will look like it’s to far into the union or outlet that end , if this is the case then unclip the gutter, move it back across to correct position then seal the joins ( neighbours join first ) clip them in and screw to fascia . They should never move again

• Thanks
Reactions: ATO
Turns out next doors gutter is not secured, theirs is a different make of plastic box gutter with a slightly different profile so a sleeve connector can't be used. I had to find a timber connector that fit theirs so it would run into mine. All siliconed but I forgot to put a couple screws in this joint... Hence theirs moved in the heat and left mine behind!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back