Two layers of plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The stud walls in my house have two layers of plasterboard. I just ripped all the plasterboard off the walls in the toilet since it was damaged by removing tiles.

I want to replace the board with two layers - how do I bind them together?

Sponsored Links
just screw the second board like you do the first board.no need for binding as far as i know

No need to connect the two layers of plasterboard together but the joints need to be bonded or staggered. The term bonded is a brickies term referring to the staggering of brick joints in a wall, i.e. half bond, 3/4 bond etc.

Sponsored Links
60 - 68mm screws for double boarding, only on the outer boards though 38mm screws are fine for the first skin and bond them like noseall says

But way are you double boarding?
It may have been double boarded as a way of complying with sound insulation regs. ; other solutions would be to use Wallboard 10 or Soundblock but BR’s also require sound insulation within the stud for a room with a loo.

But way are you double boarding?
It may have been double boarded as a way of complying with sound insulation regs. ; other solutions would be to use Wallboard 10 or Soundblock but BR’s also require sound insulation within the stud for a room with a loo.
I understand that but now there are ways of getting around that, as you have stated RC, so if the OP takes the right steps to start with double boarding may be avoid, leaving the room a little bigger!

I understand that but now there are ways of getting around that, as you have stated RC, so if the OP takes the right steps to start with double boarding may be avoid, leaving the room a little bigger!
Agreed, I thought OP was maybe just replicating what was there before but it's anybody’s guess why it was done like that originally. ;)

I would point out that as it is a bathroom, consideration should be given to Part M which requires covering it all with a wood sheet material first. The idea being that if you need to install mobility aids you can just screw them anywhere.

I would point out that as it is a bathroom, consideration should be given to Part M which requires covering it all with a wood sheet material first. The idea being that if you need to install mobility aids you can just screw them anywhere.
Please indicate where in Part M it says you must do that :?: Additionally, Part M does not apply to renovation of existing dwellings; & this thread is 18 months old. ;)

Please indicate where in Part M it says you must do that :?: Additionally, Part M does not apply to renovation of existing dwellings; & this thread is 18 months old. ;)

So thats you told ! ;) ......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back