Two towers, one monitor & KVM cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a new PC and I would like to 'manifold' it up to my current machine with a single Flat screen monitor.
I do have a KVM cable and I've used it in the past without problems, but the old monitor had a serial connection (no USB), whereas the LCD flat screen has a single USB port plus a Serial port. Both are required to be connected to the tower for the monitor to function.
The problem.
I have tried connecting the pair up but I could only control one computer with the KVM switch. The tower that had the USB cable connected to it worked fine, but the other was incapable of receiving any commands via the KVM switch, because it was without the necessary USB cable.
The request.
How can I get the two towers to work off one Flat screen monitor. Can it be configured or do I need a special USB adapter or other piece of equipment.

I hope I've made the point clear enough to understand.
Thanks for all help

Sponsored Links
As far as I know, no monitors have ever used a serial or USB port for video, all have a VGA port - 3rows of pins in a housing like a serial port!! The USB port on a monitor, espcially TFTs is usually to allow a keyboard and/or mouse to be easily connected - nothing to do with video. Your KVM switch will not use a USB cable for either mouse or keyboard. Are you trying to use the USB port on the monitor for a mouse or keyboard?
MikeD

The USB connection is utilise the monitor into a hub and has nothing to do with the video connection. The KVM should work as normal if it's correctly connected.

One problem I have seen before is a flat panel that wouldn't switch correctly. After switching, it was necessary to power cycle the monitor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Igorian.
Two out of two is convincing.
I'll try it again, but would you please tell me; do you mean to turn the monitor off then on by the term 'Power cycle'. If not please explain

VeRetired said:
do you mean to turn the monitor off then on by the term 'Power cycle'. If not please explain

Yes, it's just less words. :LOL:

oftern with KVM switches you will have to boot while connected.

Turn everything off

Turn your monitor on, and if your KVM switch is powered turn it on.

Switch your KVM to Computer 'A'
Turn on Computer 'A'

Wait for it to boot, so you can acutlaly start using it.

Swithc your KVM to Computer 'B'
Turn on Computer 'B'

wait for it to boot, and then try switching between them.

Sorry I didn't post a thank you for your advice. I've been occupied with other things.
I committed the careless mistake of NOT pressing the scroll lock TWICE prior to the up and down keys.

Thanks to all who helped

Sponsored Links
Back