Two Way Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to fit a two way light to my landing I have a one gang, two way dimmer switch at the bottom of my stairs and a one gang two way switch at the top of the stairs, however I am unsure how to connnect the wires to the switches I.E L1 L2 and Comm, I have A yellow, blue, Red and Earth in each box. I have installed the wires as can be viewed on the following link and is the top diagram

http://www.diydata.com/planning/twowaylight/twowaylight.htm

At the moment I cannot get anything to work, and any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Although the diagram appears complicated - especially if (like me) you're red/green colour compromised - the basic plan is that the two L1 and L2 at the switchs are joined to each other i.e. for example L1 at switch one has a blue wire (with brown sleeve at end) which goes to L1 at the other switch. Same for L2 - this goes to the other L2. The comm terminal on one switch is connected to the permanent live supply and the comm on the other switch is the switched live to the lamp. No neutrals are involved, but earths should be connected. All wires are potentially live and need sleeving.
HTH
V

Hi thanks for your assistance, I am still extremely confused I dont suppose you could say which colours go to which of the following:

Switch One
L1
L2
Comm

Switch Two
L1
L2
Comm

I am unsure which is the permanant live and which is the switched live etc.

Hobby0_1 said:
Hi thanks for your assistance, I am still extremely confused I dont suppose you could say which colours go to which of the following:
You really really really should not be doing electrical work on the basis of connecting particular coloured wires to particular places without a clue as to why, and how it works.

Study the diagrams etc in the For Reference section, and you will see how lighting circuits are wired, and how 2-way switching works. Understanding this is the only safe way to proceed.

I am unsure which is the permanant live and which is the switched live etc.
That implies that you are doing this without owning a multimeter, which is a bit like not having a hammer and needing to bang nails in, or not having a screwdriver and needing to turn screws, only more dangerous.....

Sponsored Links
there are quite a few ways of wiring 2-way switches together, depending on the type of cable used and the mood of the electrician when he installed them. For a start, there must be more wires than you detail at the switches. The 3 cores you can see at each switch, do they go into the same grey/white sheath? if not, please say which wires go together and which dont. otherwise we are as stuck as you are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back