Two Way Switch ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rather basic question but just to be sure I have a mains twin & earth gong into a switch, then a separate twin & earth coming directly from the light fitting into the switch. Total two cables. I want to fit a two way switch system using an additional three core cable. I am Ok with the three core switch wire. However do I simply use the same terminals for the mains T&E and the light T&E ? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Conductors from existing switch to light are connected to terminals L1 & L2.

3 core between switches, red/brown between common terminals, yellow/black between L1 terminals, blue/grey between L2 terminals (old/harmonised colours)

Had to repost as edit is timing out.

Live & switched live conductors are connected to terminals L1 & L2.

3 core between switches, red/brown between common terminals, yellow/black between L1 terminals, blue/grey between L2 terminals (old/harmonised colours).

Just re read your post
Are the two black wires connected in a connector within the switch housing ? if so leave them as they are, same with any earth cable. but as per the edit to original, live to L1 and the switch live to the light into L2.

Will read more carfully next time feel such a plank.

Don't worry I am grateful for your reply! It was the connector box that was confusing me! You have just answered my question, yes the existing black wires are joined separately with a connector box in the housing, with the reds in L1 & L2 respectively. I will then join the three core link cable per your instructions. Thanks again for your help. :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back