Tyres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been to Kwikfit (Yes, yes - I know! Just wanted the inspection!) and my 2 front tyres are illegal (I pretty well knew this.)

But they also said the OSR was 'out of shape'. Chap ran his hand round it saying "you can see it's not round" - though I couldn't see this at all.

They then quoted me a huge amount for 4 new tyres. Clearly I will shop around for 2 new front tyres, but my questions are:

1) was this 'out of shape' stuff (written on the inspection report) genuine and
2) if it was, and I need a new OSR, do I have to get a new NSR as well to match it or can I just get 3 new ones?

Sponsored Links
if you only need three tyres buy three tyres off course if you was putting different sizes on then that would make it four tyres cross matching brands makes no odds you can have pirelli and mitchelin etc on same axle but to the same size, you cant cross match the size i think and definatly not able to cross match a cross ply or radial tyre.

If the tyre was out of shape, you'd definitely feel it.....
These people are actually Dick Turpin in disguise....watch what they charge for a new valve, tyre disposal, balancing and oh yes - a fill of nitrogen :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
In France they are much more fussy.

I think that you have to have the same make of tyre on each axle!

If a policeman can find a contravention then its a € 90 for each one!

My naughty friend was mixing alloy and steel wheels on the same axle when he snapped a stud!

"....when he snapped a stud!"
not sure why he was taking pix of hunks, but ta for the tips - I'll keep this side of the Channel!

Now,

1) was this 'out of shape' stuff (written on the inspection report) genuine and
2) if it was, and I need a new OSR, do I have to get a new NSR as well to match it or can I just get 3 new ones?

sorry agile, half asleep when i gave you banter lol comment removed

Thanks all.

I've been to a main dealers for a tyre quote - predictably expensive, but no 'out of shape' rubbish!

Shopped around and got a really good price for 2 michelins from Formula One online. Plus Michelin are doing a £50 fuel voucher for 2 tyres, so a really good deal.

Asked them to put the new tyres on the rear and move the rear tyres to the front which they were happy to do. Again, no mention of 'out of shape' or any attempt to sell me further tyres.

Cost? £155 for two 17" Michelin tyres instead of Kwickfit's (25% discount!) price of £548 for 4 mid-range tyres.

What can one say?

Sponsored Links
Back