Unbiased MOT's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wary of being done up like a kipper when it comes to MOT time, I've always used the local council place, as they carry out MOT's but not offer any service or repairs, so won't pick on minor faults as being necessary and failing a car that is OK.
Anyone ever used this or any other 'MOT only' company? http://www.justmots.eu/ they are only £35 plus free retests within 10 working days. The council place is the full rate (£55)

Sponsored Links
Never used that one, but Hi Q are offering MOTs for £25 up here - no appointment necessary.
I pay £38 (main dealer).
John :)

Nice idea! Put in my postcode and my nearest one is 263.7 miles away...

OK, maybe not! If the idea caught on up North, I'd definitely be interested though. I do all my own work and I usually try to slip it into the conversation when booking it. That said, I've only once had a problem in that respect. It was a tyre place that failed it on three tyres (which were all fine). I told the bloke I'd get some part-worns rather than the ones he wanted to sell me, took it away and brought it back again the same afternoon with the same tyres on. He wrote the ticket without a word.

yep only use them now,have done for the past 3 years,my nearest is bexhill in sussex great bunch of guys.i used to take mine to the local council bus depot.but that got sold off and they stopped doing mots.

funny how you allways find a fast fit centre doing cheap mots,mmmm lets get the mugs in.
i have been stung in the past so will only take my car to a place that isnt looking to make a fast buck.

Sponsored Links
Halfords Auto Centres are currently offering MOTS at half price (£27-42). Just had my 20 year old vehicle done there. Passed first time, with a couple of 'advisories' (tyre near legal limit and front pads nearing the limit).

When I dropped the car off they asked when the service was due, I said I do my own servicing, They did not hassle me to have the work done. they seemed to genuine without pushing for additional business.

Based on this experience I would highly recommend Halfords.

An mot tester once told me they pay peanuts for the mot slips, it's the overheads they charge for.

So they can charge what they like, which is why they vary so much in prices.

Back