Underfloor Heating Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing wet underfloor heating in a new extension. The existing kitchen already has UHF so I have some experience with a simple system, but I want to check as much as possible before I make expensive mistakes.

I am planning 3 zones to be screeded (by a professional, not me) on the ground floor (1 of which will be a wetroom), the existing zone and 1 upstairs zone (another wetroom) with a biscuit mix. For the falls in the wetrooms, I expect the screed to be laid with the required falls and figure I can do the same with the biscuit mix - although I wonder how dry it needs to be, and whether it'll hold it's shape.

1. For the wetroom on a biscuit mix I've been advised to fix a plywood covering over before tanking and tiling to prevent tiles popping with movement. This feels counter-intuitive as it will insulate, but I suppose it solves the problem of tanking/fixing tiles on a loose material. Is this correct? What thickness do I need and how should I secure it? Screwed to the joists?

2. For the biscuit mix, what sand should I use? I'd think sharp sand for a concrete but if it's not for structural strength, would builders sand have less air between particles and therefore better conduction? Incidentally, I happen to have a load left over from another job :)

2. How high should I fit the manifold? I guess it should be the highest point to avoid trapped air in the loops. However one zone will be above it - I suppose I could put the manifold in that room but only if it's a big deal. The utility room below is a much more suitable location otherwise.

3. I need to extend the kitchen zone pipes to where the manifold will be and don't like the idea of the join being buried in a screed floor. I have a route in mind where the pipes are hidden in stud partitions, thinking it would be easier to access through the plasterboard if needed than the concrete. If the manifold is fitted high on the wall I could probably avoid any possible air traps in the loop.

4. Not specifically UHF related, but I have a couple of concerns about designing a wetroom. It is a rectangular room with shower at one end and toilet and basin towards the other. I figure the whole room should have a fall towards the shower drain. How do you deal with a toilet (and possible basin pedestal) on a sloping surface? Is it just too small a slope to be a problem? Having tanked walls and floor before tiling, is it not a problem securing fixings with screws that would puncture the tanking?

Sponsored Links
In case it helps anyone else, the very helpful guy at Myson (who are supplying the UFH components) gave me some advice:

1. A cement board (eg Hardiebacker) screwed to the joists will do nicely, and insulate far less than any wood

2. Builders sand

2 (erm, I clearly can't count!) Could be an issue, but once it's all flushed through, bled and been running for a bit there's no reason to expect air ingress so I think I'll take the risk but take extra care to expell it all whilst commissioning.

4. I've decided to effectively divide the room into 3 rough squares: a shower area at one end (obviously requiring a slope to drain), a flat area at the other with toilet and basin side by side, and a central area (which will also slope towards the shower).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back