Underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Need a bit of advice on underfloor heating. Refurbishing a small room, when all the old flooring was removed we were left with concrete floor 2 cm deeper than original level. It was suggested that we can use it and put underfloor heating. Which brings me to my questions:
1. Will 2 cm depth be enough ?
2. If we go for underfloor heating, how important is it to use branded kit (proWarm seems to have good reviews) vs something custom.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
2 cm is hardly enough, when I fitted in, and it was electric not water so took less room, there was 6 inches of insulation before even started with heating element, the floor had to be removed in my case to alter drains, but there was on top of the insulation ply wood floor then heating element and then tiles so likely 8 to 9 inches.

Unless you fit the insulation it would be very costly to run, also you have to consider speed, from turning on to floor getting warm around 1 hour, so to heat room looking at 3 to 4 hours, so only really any good for families with pre-school children and the retired. Likely low down heat better using fan assisted radiators, that is the reverse in heating time, very fast.

Son fitted underfloor heating, the idea was to sink the heat from rayburn cooker, and if you use solid fuel for heating with a back boiler then yes good idea as it stores heat for latter after fire has gone out, but in the main not very good.

When house hunting any house with under floor heating I rejected, as unless the owner can show you photos of the insulation, so often it is missed so costs a fortune to run, so if you do fit it take photos so you can show if you ever sell it was done correctly.

Overlay systems are very good and responsive in my experience. I’ve only used Polyplumb with no issues to date. Oldest is 5 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back