underfloor leak - cost of repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just found out there's a burst lead pipe under the floor of my living room. No water damage, but water company have told me I am legally obliged to get it fixed. They suggest rerouting the pipe from where it enters the house, up through the first floor back and back down to the kitchen. Before I get plumber's quotes, can anyone advise me roughly how much I should expect to pay for such a job? Are we talking thousands?

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
I wonder why they suggest the reroute? Do you have concrete floors? If not, I would have thought poking a plastic pipe under the floors would be more straightforward.

no John no no no
all i say is RATS
they will chew through the plastic before u can fill a kettle

Without discussing amounts, trying to locate a leak within solid floors can be a costly and messy business. It may work out cheaper or similar cost, and certainly less disruptive to your internal floors to get your lead pipe completely renewed and you won't run as much of a risk of future leaks. you will also avoid the negative health effects of lead pipes, and experience a better level of supply through a new pipe.

Try your local phone book or yellow pages for local pipe moling companies. If you or somebody you know feel competent/confident about doing a bit of digging outside and DIY then it is fairly simple to have a go yourself. Does your Water Company run a lead pipe replacement scheme? Most of them will do some sort of scheme where they wwill relay their pipework (in the footpath/road) and connect your new pipe to it, provided it conforms to water regulations.

Sponsored Links
I thought they stopped lead replacement schemes ? They have in Wales anyway

sime10 said:
I thought they stopped lead replacement schemes ? They have in Wales anyway

UU still have a lead & common replacement scheme. Can still replace your own pipework out to boundary and then insist that the highway stuff is replaced anyway.

Checked with Welsh water today and there are not any grants available in Wales

Tough break. UU don't provide grants, but do carry out regs inspection and connection free of charge.

One thing to try is hitting your local council/health authority for a grant under "The Assistance for Minor Works to Dwellings (Lead Pipes) Order 1992". Good for people with low incomes where there is a health worry regarding the high level of lead in water. Not all council's run them, I'm trying to get answers from Wirral BC at the moment. grants are usually means tested though, low income/ tax credits etc.

Thanks for that, not wanting a grant myself but its a good thing to tell customers.

Our water supplier charges £1200 to connect up on their side. On the whole I just take it to the boundary the short length which is their responsibility isn't usually a problem, doing the whole length on the client's land normally fixes the problem, and gets what they are responsible for sorted.

It must be solid floors and an up and over can be done in half a day with plastic. I'd only charge a couple of hundred. Last one I did was for my accountant (the new one not the one who charged me £100 for five minutes on the net). I haven't charged this job yet as it's a bit of a standoff, we're eying each other up. I'm thinking if I charge him too much he'll charge me too much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back