Underside steel . For bi fold opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We created a opening for binfold doors . (The bottom of the steel is 2025)

However the door manufacturer of the binfold door we want requires 2017

That gives us very little to play with even with the thinnest plaster board . What are options. Can we mount a door frame on the steel?

Sponsored Links
Edit: sorry I read it as the beam flange width being 225 and the door needed a narrower beam, please ignore!:oops:

You will need plasterboard for fire protection. You would also have a terrible thermal bridge if it was exposed.
Are you sure the door needs exactly that dimension, rather than at least that? You could lift the beam and fit the door to a plasterboard stud underneath.

Last edited:
From the manual door requires frame is 2007. So 2015 is not much given I need to consider wooden floor.

Lifting beam is not a option

Just fix up to the steel then plasterboard the inside. you don't want your plasterboard going through to the outside face anyway.
Unless you have a flush sill on the doors you will have plenty of depth within the bottom frame anyway. Even if you have a flush sill you still have 18mm which will be fine for most flooring.

Sponsored Links
Ok.

It's a internal bifold.

The frame is 2007 in heigh and I have 2025 from underside of steel.

A plaster board 12.5 would give 2012.5 from underside

Given frame is 2007 high that 5.5 mm for floor!

There's this bifold door I really like.

The frame requires 2007 from finished floor level.

I wanted to know if there is any way around getting it fitted

Right so I take it you will have a flush floor finish through the doors. the bottom track of the bifold must have some depth to it though.
But yes you really do need to protect the full width of the steel if its wholly internal.
Have you got a link to the door set you are using.

Attached is dimensions of door.
I am fine with width . Currently from underside of steel is 2026-2028(variation ) from floor boards. We are planning on having laminate floor in future.

I also noticed the 15mm on manual which is probably required for fixing. But we could probably get away with 12.5 with that

Attachments

• IMG_7616.PNG
    IMG_7616.PNG
    127.2 KB · Views: 276
Right I see they are trackless at the bottom.
I have just read the manual you need 2007mm from the head to the top of the finished floor you currently have 2026mm to your current finished floor so allowing for 12.5mm of plasterboard under your steel you will have 2013.5mm which leaves you 6.5mm spare. which means you won't be able to fit any flooring over your existing boards. but it will fit fine with your existing floor.
If you fit laminate in future then yes you could fix direct to your steel but not sure how that would work if you did that now, I suppose you could pack up the bottom pivots for now but that will leave you with a big gap under the doors , something in the region of 19mm plus the margin already allowed for along with 19mm under the legs of the frame. You really need to be thinking about fitting your final floor covering first.

Ok great.

I will start look at laminate flooring to understand padding required under rsj.

1) what is padding I could use under steel? Sheet ply?

2) what's the best laminate nowadays? Just the thicker one? Anything/any retailers I need to look for?

plastic glazing packers, Laminate quality does vary are you looking at laminate or engineered wood. price is generally the indication of quality in this situation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back