understanding mould?!?!?!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Merry after Christmas all,

In my house that was built in 1890 we have bay windows. The windows are crittle frame and non vented, though they are double glazed. In the winter months we experience a tremendous condensation problem on the glass on getting out of bed in the morning. So to eradicate this I put in secondary perspex glazing. This initially stopped the problem but this year it has failed miserably, so I bought a dehumidifier, which is working, or so it seems.

The furniture, skirtings,archi etc in our room is all bare wood, the wife "she who must be obeyed" decided "instead of just bloody relaxing over the Christmas break" to spring clean the bedroom. She who must be obeyed has found Mould and alot of it on the backs of wardrobes on the skirting under the carpet " who cleans under fitted carpets".

I don't understand how the Mould has manifested itself, is it because the room has no ventilation and now I have secondary glazed the windows, the condensed air "the wife and I generate whilst sleeping" has created Mould or am I barking up the wrong tree. I know gutters pointing sills etc are sound, yes the windows are absolute ****e, but the Mould I've no idea.

Could someone please direct me into the probable causes, thank you, happy new year.

Sponsored Links
Moisture, lack of air flow & temperature differential.
Just google it, you will have enough reading to last a lifetime.
Our house (200yrs old) really suffers also. Its about keeping doors closed when cooking & using an extractor & the same goes for showering, door shut extractor on.
The bedroom is YOUR moisture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back