Uneven floor - laminate nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me.

I would like to laminate my front room floor but after taking up the old carpert and underlay have found that the floor is REALLY uneven in places.

The current floor is black and looks like some sort of leveling compound which was put down when the house was built in the 1950's.

It also has an area where a fireplace was which has been filled in with concrete. This part of the floor is higher than the rest of the floor.

The other issue is the old leveling compound has loads of dimples in it which I can only assume happened when a cover was put over it when the house was being built? Its really hard to explain.

I need to get the flooring done as my son is now 7months old and is starting to crawl.

The black floor is impossible to clean as no matter how much I mop it, the black still rubs off onto your hands and clothes.

I can provide pics if required?

Whats the best way forward? Ive read about self leveling compound but understand this takes 72hrs to fully dry?

Can I put in a marine ply floor? if so how would I sort out the uneveness?

Thanks for any advice in advance :eek:)

Steve

Sponsored Links
The current floor is black and looks like some sort of leveling compound which was put down when the house was built in the 1950's.

The other issue is the old leveling compound has loads of dimples in it which I can only assume happened when a cover was put over it when the house was being built? Its really hard to explain.

The black floor is impossible to clean as no matter how much I mop it, the black still rubs off onto your hands and clothes.

This sounds very much like the bitumen adhesive used with old Marley tiles. Any signs of square patterns in it?

You can board the floor first but it has to be solidly fixed and will probably need some sort of membrane below it. The floor guys know more than me on that front.

You can get quick setting floor levelling compounds which are a bit more expensive, but any compound may need some form of primer for it to adhere to the bitumen.

This sounds very much like the bitumen adhesive used with old Marley tiles. Any signs of square patterns in it?

You can board the floor first but it has to be solidly fixed and will probably need some sort of membrane below it. The floor guys know more than me on that front.

You can get quick setting floor levelling compounds which are a bit more expensive, but any compound may need some form of primer for it to adhere to the bitumen.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I dont think the floor is bitumen as its about 10mm thick.

It doesnt have squares in it either....

Would a picture of it help?

I've been looking at leveling compounds. Whats the best one to get for this type of floor?

Thanks in advance

Something like this seems ideal, but somewhat expensive: http://www.pureadhesion.co.uk/mira-...re-enforced-self-levelling-compound-25kg.html
Without knowing what the floor surface is, I wouldn't like to guarantee it's suitability and it could be overkill if a standard levelling compound will work.
As said, I'm sure the flooring guys will be able to advise better when they read your post, but I'm sure a few pics to help them wouldn't go amiss.

Sponsored Links
Having seen the pics, I agree that it is not the bitumen adhesive I was imagining. It does look like some form of levelling compound - could be liquid dampproofing too. :confused:
I think if the floor is solid and dry, you could get away with regular levelling compound over the damaged areas. If the 'dimpled' areas are not loose then I would imagine it should be ok there too. Of course, you may still prefer the quick drying version.
If you go this way, remove anything that looks like it may become loose before using it.
If you are using standard laminate flooring, the use of fibreboard underlay will take up minor undulations after the floor is repaired.
Engineered or solid wood needs a pretty flat surface.
A few tips from a previous thread here: www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80050

What you have appears to be asphalt which is a levelling/dpm coating.

The edges have broken probably as a result of a carpet fitter trying to nail gripper into it instead of gluing it down.

You can use a screed on this - you would need to degrease/prime/screed - I normally use F.Ball products.

Check out the sticky posted by mattysupra at the top.

What you have appears to be asphalt which is a levelling/dpm coating.

The edges have broken probably as a result of a carpet fitter trying to nail gripper into it instead of gluing it down.

You can use a screed on this - you would need to degrease/prime/screed - I normally use F.Ball products.

Check out the sticky posted by mattysupra at the top.

Thanks flooringman,

I went into a carpet shop today and explained that the floor was uneven.

The guy in the shop reckons I can by broadwalk underlay which is thicker than normal and this will sort it out?

Do you think this will work?

Tredaire Boardwalk is a good underlay but it depends on how uneven your floor actually is.

If the man who is selling the underlay is installing the laminate then he will have a better idea.

Tredaire Boardwalk is a good underlay but it depends on how uneven your floor actually is.

If the man who is selling the underlay is installing the laminate then he will have a better idea.

Just got a smaple of Tredaire Boardwalk and although its 5mm its not enough to even the floor out..

The man selling the underlay wont be installing the laminate....

Looks like its gonna need to be leveled.....

oh the joys....

Has anyone successfully used fibreboard to sort out an uneven floor?

I am considering buying 5mm boards and covering the floor with them. Then laying a layer of foam underlay 2mm.

I was thinking to sort out the unevenness, I would lay fibreboard over 80% of the floor, but where it is really uneven only lay foam underlay.

There is a section of the floor which is concrete, this is about 5mm higher than the rest of the floor.

Seeing as the fibreboard is 5mm I was hoping this would work.

Any suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back