units of alcohol

Three years ago after a second heart attack, I was advised by my consultant that I should give up the whisky and have perhaps a glass or two of red wine at night. And if I felt like having a spirit, then my body would react more favourably to a brandy rather than a whisky. I have taken his advice to heart (no pun intended) and until today felt the better for it. But now, after todays news? Two glasses of red wine and a large brandy later and I realise that they are ralking absolute tubbish!

Sponsored Links
is 0 good?

i only drink at events like new year, birthday, meeting old friends. no need to have it week in week out

Blimey is the French population diminishing at a high rate? is their health provision approaching third world status?

1 unit in UK is equal to 10 Ml
In France 15.2 Ml
http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/ccalcoh1.htm

So beware of "The french drink x units per week, whilst UK drinkers are at y units" This could be a Gordon Brown 'special method' in relating quantities with differing measures... He did it using RPI, CPI and RPIX during a 'budget' speech.

Look at the bottle label. (I mainly quote)
The alcohol by Volume value tells you immediately how many units of alcohol there are in a litre of the liquid. It is the same figure.

Just peered at a 1 litre bottle of Gin, 47.3% by volume.
Very close to 47.3 UK units of alcohol in that Litre. (473 Ml or cc of Alcohol)

A 750 cc / Ml or 75 Cl bottle of wine at ABV 12% would contain near enough 12 UK units in 1 Litre. so 75% of that in 75 Cl = 9 units.
3 large glasses at 250 cc/Ml per glass = 3 units per glass.

I am comfortable with a 175-190 cc glass Av. 2.2 units per glass.

Couple of bottles per week - normal times - 24 Units = 3.4 per day.
That was well within the totals from around 2003...
oops ! Firkin it, that would be 1Ltr bottles, at 750cc - 75 Cl per bottle = 18 units p/w

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/dictunit/notes6.htm

It is 'frighten the nation' time again, always something when the Govn is feeling under pressure...

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
i drink around 11 pints at 6% per week 35units !!!!plus spirits perhaps 300ml at 40%

thats less than half of what i used to drink in my younger days still to much though :( :rolleyes:

Lovely comment in the paper

"Give up drinking.
No way.
How are us ugly people ever going to get sex then?"

It is 'frighten the nation' time again, always something when the Govn is feeling under pressure...

Or is it brainwashing time to make you think that the probability of huge tax rises on alcohol are for your health and welfare ? :eek:

Back