Unsure which regulation applies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all - New to this forum
I have a garden wall of 1.7 meters in height that is wholly on my property but it seperates mine and the neighbours garden. Ideally I want to build a brick garage that would utilise 4 meters of the garden wall as the back of the garage by raising the height to 2.5 meters. My question is can I do this or would I need to build away 2 meters from wall as stated in the permitted development regulations? I read that a garden wall cannot be higher than 2 meters but not sure if this applies when using part of it for a building. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It'd be an outbuilding below the height which needs planning permission so it'd be permitted development.

As it would be made of substantially non combustible material you can build right up to the boundary without needing building control as long as it's less than 30m^2 I believe.

There may be a commplicating factor in the guttering, effectively any land on the far side of the wall is your neighbours, or they'll assume it is, so any guttering that overhung it would be infringing on their land. It'd be bad neighbouring to just let it run off down the wall, and leave you with a damp building.

2.5m is the max eaves height of the building, so your can't raise the wall to 2.5m.

If building under PD you can't overhang guttering even if the neighbour OK's it, as then the building won't be PD.

My understanding for PD for outbuildings

<2m from boundary it has to be max 2.5m high overall.
If less than 1m from boundary then if:-
<15^2 m build it from anything
15<30^2 m it has to be substantially non-combustible (i.e. brick, cement, tile, slate, metai)
>30^2 m it needs building control

Unless there are other planning conditions for your house or area that modify PD rules. (PD removed, conservation area etc.)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies much appreciated. There seems to be some concencus that if building right on the boundary maximum height is 2m. But when I look in the PD technical guidance it only states the maximum 2.5m height rule within 2m of the boundary. When I read the regulation regarding raising the height of a garden wall that does limit the height to 2m. Is it the case that both of the rules have to be taken into account - with the lower height being adopted i.e. wall regulation of 2m? Or is it not classed as a garden wall anymore if changed to form part of an outbuilding?

Im not sure of this consensus youh mention. o_O

A wall on its own is a wall and the regulations for a wall apply.

A wall as part of a building is part of the building and the regulations for a building apply.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back