Untreated log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In a bit of a panic.

I've had a log cabin half built today, it's currently untreated, I have bought the wood protector and woodstain ready to apply when the cabin is finished tomorrow.

Before the guys installing the cabin left site, they covered the cabin with plastic sheeting etc, however it's been very windy here and some of the sheeting has blown away!

It's currently raining and the skies don't look too good, i've tried to repair the sheeting as best I can but where the cabin is located is pitch black and I haven't any sheeting left.

Am I going to have serious issues with the wood getting wet? Is there anything else I can do, like leave the wood to dry out fully before applying the wood protector?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Like leave the wood to dry out fully before applying the wood protector?

I think that would be your best bet in an ideal world, but it's winter and you might not see many dry days. As long as it's touch dry and your preserver is porous you should be fine, but I'm sure the more knowledgeable members here will advise you better.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The cabin build was completed yesterday but horrendous rain continues and the forecast is rain for the next 5 days!

I've been advised not to cover with plastic as that could cause the wet wood to sweat??

Will it be okay to leave the untreated cabin in these elementals until I hopefully get a period of dry weather next week then allowing the wood to dry before I apply preserve?

What about if I placed tarpaulin over it for the next week or so?

Thanks,

Peter.

your wood will not be damaged by several months off bad weather so don't worry about that

the only problem you may get is blue staining and mould
another problem you may have is getting the joins together iff the wood is wet and swollen but this depends on actual construction methods

Sponsored Links
Thanks Big-all.

It's quite a big cabin, at 5m x 4m, I'm covering it today with tarpaulin just over the top so wind can still get at it and hopefully dry it out quicker. Especially as looks like it's going to rain for at least a few more days.

Regarding the mould, does that mean I won't be able to apply the wood preserver if I do spot mould? Would I try and remove the mould prior to preserve and staining?

Thank you.

the mould will only appear after prolonged dampness usually weeks or months

if the treatment is mould or anti fungal that will help
if its purely decorative and sealing this will have no effect on what happens with the mould other than help by reducing the mousture by repelling some

go ahead and add your treatment in accordance to the instructions

Also don't forget to get lot's of preservative into the exposed end grain at the corners, and preferably use an end grain sealant as well.

There's quite a lot of end grain exposed due to the design of the cabin.

I've got Cuprinol clear wood preserver, of which I will be applying two coats and a fair amount to the end grains.

Then, for staining I'm using Sadolin Advanced One Coat Woodstain - again, I'll be applying two coats.

With the above, should I still use an end grain sealant too? If so, any advice on which product is best, should I go for PVA based? Also, would this be applied before or after the Cuprinol preserver?

Thanks!

Preservative (go nuts on the end grain, it's the only area where you will get more than a mm or so of penetration).

PVA sealer is fine.

Finish.

The end grain is the most vulnerable part of such a cabin, proper log cabins have large overhanging roofs that protect a lot of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back