unvented boiler flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an unvented hot water system that has a circulating pump. I suspected the pump had broken and have just changed it. When I took the pump out it was impressively blocked with hard 'lime scale like' crud. I scraped out the ends of the isolating valves but I guess some of the crud is now in the tank - perhaps along with much more.
My question is do I do nothing? Should I flush the hot water cylinder? how would I know if it was half full of sludge? If flushing is advisable is it a DIY job?
As it is a hot water system I guess you cannot use inhibitors or flushes like you might on a radiator hot water system.
Thanks for any help offered

Sponsored Links
Not usually worth bothering.

If thats a secondary circulation pump you may not have needed it anyway.

They are best on a timer to only operate when needed.

On a pump limescale can be dissolved by HCl.

Dont use it on anything ali or copper though.

Most of Devon is soft water though! Hard igneous rocks!

Tony

If you get a water softener, then as well as not making any new limescale, it will slowly dissolve what is already there.

Thanks very much both of you. The pump does seem to help as the house is long and thin (sadly not a lovely Devon longhouse) and the boiler is at one end.

Sponsored Links
Where exacttly are you?

Are you sure the water is really very hard?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back