upstairs / downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to strip out and redo upstairs lighting / switches, etc.

Existing is wired, lamps connected to neutral / switches live / switchwire.

When preparing today saw it had been wired a bit shoddily, and discovered a socket spured off the lighting circuit. (using the single and earth as a phase and neutral)

Obviously disconnected socket, but worried i am opening a can of worms.

How can i confirm that the "upstairs" and "downstairs" (as label up at CU)lighting circuits are not inter connected?

If i can confirm they are seperate can take one one circuit at a time and not get out of my depth.

Sponsored Links
good lad for removing the socket spur ;)

why are you working on the lighting circuit may i ask? problems?

can you lift floorbaoards/get in loft and visually trace cables? you could with some time and effort use a multimeter to work it all out if you feel competent enough to use one.

if your worried about the state of your electrics it may be worth getting a spark to do a PIR on your home. this will tell you what state your installation is in and recommend any work that needs doing. its not that expensive and imho well worth the money.......especially if your turning things up such as sockets on lighting circuits! :LOL:

interconnections between circuits (especially lighting) are not unheard of and the dreaded 'borrowed' nuetral often appears this way.

want a couple of extra lights upstairs. dont want to just keep adding, as this seems to have been done by the last few occupants.

would rather take supply to lamp fitting then down to switch, rather than system in use. can imagine 2 circuits interconnected. nothing seems to be done to standard here!

Sponsored Links
double 22 said:
How can i confirm that the "upstairs" and "downstairs" (as label up at CU)lighting circuits are not inter connected?

If i can confirm they are seperate can take one one circuit at a time and not get out of my depth.

During daylight hours, trip all the MCBs, except the one labelled as the upstairs lights, then switch on all the lights in the house to confirm that only the upstairs lights (poss the stairs as well) work. I would check all the power outlets upstairs are dead. The shaver socket and any high up wall heater in the bathroom have been known to be wired into the lights circuit.

Then do a similar check for all the other MCBs.

Doing this will only check for separate live wires. As mentioned elsewhere, any crossed neutrals will not be discovered. However, all the neutrals in all circuits are connected together in the consumer unit anyway. The only slight worry with crossed neutrals is that you might have double pole isolation switches bypassed by a neutral wire from another circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back