Upstairs hot water taps!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just moved into a maisonette flat and I've got a problem with the upstairs hot water taps. The flat currently has electric storage heating so no gas boiler or anything. My water tank is in the bedroom which is on the same level as the bathroom. I occupy the top two levels of the building which has no loft.

I don't have any problem getting hot water from the downstairs tap, but in the bathroom upstairs I can only get a slight trickle from either the wash hand basin or the bath.

I spoke to a plumber today and they informed me that there was nothing I could do as the lack of pressure upstairs was due to there only being approx 4ft drop between the tank and the taps as opposed to there be a approx 20ft drop downstairs.

I'm a bit puzzled at this as I'm sure that all of my neighbours on the same floor don't go without hot water upstairs.

Thankfully I'm not liable for the cost of getting this fixed, but my query is really to ask, is there any solution to this??

Don't know if this helps, but until recently the building was flat roofed and there was no gas into them.

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered!

Cheers Del

Sponsored Links
Are the taps quarter turn as opposed to traditional multiple turn tap heads?

Quarter turn taps look nice but need high pressure.

Your only option would be to replace the taps with traditional taps. Make sure the bath taps have genuine 3/4 valves, most only use 1/2 valves and the flow rate will be lower.

Hi

Both taps are multiple turn taps i.e. turn 4 or 5 times till fully open. Still only get a trickle.

Either there is a partial blockage say on a gate valve or the pipework is airlocked.

4ft is low but should not be a problem - commonly found in flats.

Sponsored Links
Could be the tap mechanisms just need dismantling and cleaning. For ordinary taps you can buy whole valve assemblies with the head very cheaply. No harder than changing a washer so often a DIY job.

Thanks for all the info folks! At least from your replies it does seem that the problem can be fixed which is what I was needing to know! Dunno why plumber I phoned told me I was stuck with it!!!

Cheers :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back