Upstairs light on downstairs circuit

I must have been about 8 and remember my father setting up a Christmas Tree. The flex on the lights wasn't long enough so he just added a bit, using a twist joint and had me hold the two bare joints apart, whilst he checked if the lights still worked - with an instruction hold them apart and not to let them touch. A silly instruction to give a curious 8 year old, I took the fuse out and the lights.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
I did something similar except Dad held them apart with a slipper and having been told why he did it I just had to try. Next time in town with Mum I had some pocket money and she let me go into 'Stones' electrical shop and I purchased a 5A 2 pin plug and a yard or red/black twisted flex.
Back home I stripped the ends with pincers in the shed and terminated one end in the plug, it was one of those with no screws and the wires slipped into an eye in the pin and screwing the cover on pushed the pin forward to tighten against the wire.
That night after going to bed the lights went off and there was a black mark on the wall...
Bloody hell my bottom hurt...

Sponsored Links
Before the RCD it was common to split lights upper and lower, but sockets side to side, as side to side used less cable and so better loop impedance, but when RCD's came in, we were told to not supply power and lighting in the same room from same RCD, so if some one did trip the RCD due to some thing plugged in, it did not also plunge them into darkness. Clearly a general power cut would still mean no lights, but if you get a shock so trip RCD better if lights don't go out.

However with 2 RCD's and lights up/down and sockets side/side it is not possible, some rooms must have lights and sockets on the same circuit, OK today with RCBO's we can get it so not on same RCD, I have argued many times as to if a RCD forms a circuit, we have been told we should divide the installation so as to "(iii) take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit." and I can't see how two RCD's complies with that? "Circuit. An assembly of electrical equipment supplied from the same origin and protected against over current by the same protective device(s)." RCD = "Residual current device (RCD). A mechanical switching device or association of devices intended to cause the opening of the contacts when the residual current attains a given value under specified conditions." can't see how any one can say not an over current device? OK may be over permitted current to earth but still over current.

However back in the real world people want things cheap, having lived in a house with 2 RCD's since 1992 when I fitted RCD's to this house I was not going to make the same mistake, so 14 RCBO's in this house, I feel the extra £200 well worth it, if it saves one freezer full of food, it has paid for its self. But why should I force some one to copy me, if they want to take the risk and save £200 that is up to them.

i was about 11ish helping dad in a furniture store , and up a ladder while he went to get something, saw what i thought was the issue in a bit of plastic - pushed my finger in , got a shock and power went off in the shop - LARGE furniture display store , no one was happy

Sponsored Links
you don't mean you sat on the bare wires..........
Oh no I was laying belly down on the bed, the flash marked the wall and the fuse blew, i don't recall if i got a shock on that occassion.

It was dads hand that hurt my bum:(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back