Upstairs radiators always on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am a new poster and have just purchased my first house!
I have A gas boiler going into a cylinder storage tank. The gas boiler is downstairs and the cylinder upstairs.
The radiators upstairs always seem warm or hot. Even when the heating and downstairs ones are off and cold. Is this common? And where are the radiators getting the hot water from to sustain the heat?

Any advice apreciated

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
erm the house is about 9 years old, i don't think there has been a solid fuel burner in here as no chimney or anything for that?

You may have a mid-position valve that isn't fully shutting off the heating circuit when the hot water is on.

Normally the valve would be in the airing cupboard.

oh i just looked one up(mid positioning valve) what should this be set at?
Sorry for the "erm" lol

p1085204_l.jpg

motor might be a different colour ;)

If it's gravity fed hot water your bathroom radiator may become warm on the circulation of the water, turn off the radiator in summer if it is.

more likely to be backflow from the cylinder return if upstairs rads are heating when only using boiler to heat water this is a regular problem a single check valve just before the last joint on the heat circuit cures it

Could it be the bathroom radiator is on the hot water circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back