upstairs ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody please help? i have a property which i rent out the letting agency which manage property just had a annual inspection done on the electrics. it has come back with no continuity on upstairs ring main on all three cables the property was rewired about a year ago before i purchased it. I have just just checked the fuseboard i disconnected one of the lives off the fuse thinking half the upstairs power points would go dead so i could record which ones went dead then do the same with the other live. so i could then check to see if any of the power points only had a single cable going to it on the seperate circuits then i planned to connect these with 2.5mm twin/earth to make the ring. But when i disconnectd the 1 live all of the upstairs p/points went dead. i found one power point in one of the bedrooms with only one cable going to it. so why has somebody taken 2 cables off the fuse with one not doing anything? any ideas please? and can i run a cable back from the power point with one cable going to it back to the fuseboard to complete the ring?

Sponsored Links
You NEED to complete the ring. You are going about it the right way. :D You need to find the other socket with only one cable in it.

I assume the ring was once complete?
If it was rewired a year ago did you receive the relevant Electrical Installation Certificate?

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely the o/c ring is caused by a missing cable.

It is more likely wired correctly with a failed joint or a damaged section of cable.

Is the ring open circuit on the live conductors only, or is it open circuit on all three?

This is not to be undertaken by an untrained DIY enthusiast (not being rude). 2.5mm cable is rated at 27Amps so if served by a 32Amp MCB or 30 Amp rewirable there needs to be two 2.5mm cables feeding the circuit. From what you say, this needs professional investigation. There may be more 'mistakes', in the meantime for safety the circuit should be downgraded to a 20Amp MCB

If I were you I would a proper PIR (Periodic Inspection Report) done by a reputable contractor.
It sounds as though it was rewired not to standard and the report you mention doesn't sound to me as though it was done properly either.

As a landlord you could end up in trouble, not of your making, yet you'd still be held responsible.

RF Lighting said:
It is unlikely the o/c ring is caused by a missing cable.

It is more likely wired correctly with a failed joint or a damaged section of cable.

Is the ring open circuit on the live conductors only, or is it open circuit on all three?

He said all three and that all sockets were dead when he disconnected one of the legs from the consumer unit.
It has to point towards a problem with the other leg somewhere between the consumer unit and its first socket assuming the RFC was healthy when installed and tested.

Thanks for your feedback i was never passed the installation certificate when i purchased the property.I did find one more power point with only one cable, in the loft conversion but that also went dead with the rest of the circuit, when the one cable was disconnected. so that is coming off the same cable (cratys feedback) so i think that was a spur. Feedback from RF lighting live, neutral and earth also open circuit. I intend on pulling up the floor boards to try and follow the dead cable but if i cant follow it all the way, would it be safe to cut it off upstairs put it through a junction box and connect it to the power point i found with only one cable going to it in the bedroom. Thank you all very much!!!I am a AA patrol so if i can give any of you any advice on cars JUST AASK!!! (SORRY IF THAT SOUNDS CHEESY)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back