Upvc cladding over power lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Looking for some advice here. As in the title, I've just had some upvc exterior cladding fitted on the side of my house. The wall was battened and then cladding attached to the battens. The wall had two power lines running along it which have now been hidden under the cladding. I didn't see a problem with this but a neighbour has pointed this out and said it's a no no to conceal power lines and I could be asked by the power company to remove the cladding. I spoke to a cladding company and they said they have never heard of this. Any advice would be great as I really don't want to remove the cladding. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The house is 50 years old, I've lived in it for 15 years and the cables have never needed to be worked on. I appreciate the reply but really want to know if I've done anything against regulations.

It is very much frowned upon and the electricity distributor will not permit it if they find out.

I once got a safety bulletin round, where a building had been rendered, hiding the supply cable. Somebody subsequently put a drill through it, and apparently the cable burned like a Roman candle for an hour or so.

Supply fuses are at about 400A, and will hold for longer than it takes for your house to burn down.

Sponsored Links
There is a serious danger that someone might nail through the cladding and into the power lines. Also the cables may need to be derated because of surrounding insulation or higher ambient temperature behind the cladding in summer.

This is Irish guidance; UK practice will be slightly different in detail but the safety warnings will be the same.
http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/contractor/ESB_Job_Aid.pdf

Ok thanks for that. Not what I was hoping to hear but I guess rules are there for a reason. Cheers. John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back