URGENT - pplease help, can i increase dormer size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

just joined the forum for an urgent question on a new storey extension we're doing. We currently have an existing 2 storey (grnd floor and 1st floor) building that has a flat roof and we're adding a new storey which will have a pitched roof with 3 dormers on "back" and 3 velux windows at the "front" (road facing).

We're at the stage of constructing the dormers and the site manager has decided to slightly increase the dormer width by 200mm from the drawings that were approved by the building regs. My question is can we get "pulled up" on this at any stage as the increase will not really impact the appearance of the overall building and the dormers will not look any more imposing. Building regs will not check dimensions and the drawings were approved by planning office without dimensions. So the question is can this be picked up at any stage if the increase is not any obvious in appearance? The nearest property to dormers is 25 meters away.

Thanks in advance for your time

Aaliya

Sponsored Links
Don't think i've ever seen a BCO with a tape measure.. probably not trained to use them and dont have the relevant health and safety risk assessments done..

Planning might get funny about it, but by the sounds of it they dont know the size..

hi static

thanks so much for a quick reply. The dimensions are only with building regs and no dimensions were provided to planning, hence the question where can the relatively small increase be picked up? Am i being too paranoid and shall i take advice of site manager to push ahead (calculated risk) considering planning should "theoretically" not pick it unless if they came out and it looked overbearing? At the moment the increase is 200 mm in width on two of the 3 dormers over a 9m overall roof width

Aaliya

BC aren't too interested in dimensions, unless it contravenes the regs (ie headroom over stairs, height of glazing etc etc..)..
Chances are you could point it out to them and they wouldnt even care (so long as the structure is sound and can span the extra)..

The risk is very small from BC side really..

Sponsored Links
thanks again! i was under the impression that BC should be OK, my concern was planning department. I mean they probably only need to check if someone complains? (which is unlikely considering its not a major change from)?

There's no guide lines on dormer sizes in terms of Building Control. Building Control will only be concerned with it's fabric + structural stability etc.

But Planning could be an issue. Although you have no figured dimensions on your Planning Approved drawings, I presume they are to scale and, if required, you could scale off sizes? I guess it depends on the Planning Officer + how keen an interest they will take. Also would a neigbour, who's taken an interest, report you for something + the Planner then reviews everything including the dormers?

Silly question (not)........why has the Site Manager decided to increase the size of the dormers by 200mm? It's of no risk to the contractor at all, it's your risk 100%.

My advice is stick to the drawings, that's what's been approved. ;)

hi peca

i am not aware of any neighbour issues, they're generally fine. the reason for the adjustments was because the dimensions on the plan looked too tight so the suggestion by the site manager. in a way he has made it more proportional then the original. the guy is a friend and doing everything for my interested and is convinced there shouldn't be an issue and has also says its my decision to change now or we can proceed and hence me asking the question to others. he seems to think it should be ok

It's your risk, you're propably gonna be ok.

If you want to cover yourself 100%, it's maybe an option to run the change by the Planning Officer who approved the application? Get it in black + white that it's ok?

Upto you tho I guess.

It sounds like you're going to take the chance anyway... because you wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back