Using catering hose on domestic cooker?

ges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The new cooker instal in a kitchen refurb. will require a 1.5m (5 feet) flexible hose. Unfortunately a standard length 1.2m is too short, and a 1.8m is too long.

Is it acceptable to specify a 1.5m catering hose (bayonet style), which is a standard catalogue length, for a domestic application? I need to advise my Gas Safe installation engineer.

My understanding is that the catering hose (BS 669-2) is a more robust part designed for more frequent movement than the domestic (BS 669-1) hose.

Or does anyone know a source of a 1.5m domestic hose?

Sponsored Links
it is acceptable but why do you need a hose longer than 1.2m in a domestic kitchen

To answer the question why 1.2m is too short:

Cooker is 700mm wide slot-in, with its gas inlet is at extreme top right. Bayonet outlet is at left side of cooker, and also 220mm lower.

The ideal access arrangement is to pull cooker forward clear of the worktop, and then swivel cooker round enough to enable a person to get in behind it - without have to first unplug the bayonet fitting every time.

It is just about possible to do this with a standard 1.2m hose, but it will put some very tight bends in the hose. A 1.5m hose is much more comfortable. (However, a 1.8m hose would drag on the floor when the cooker is pushed into its slot.)

In this installation it happens to be difficult to move/extend the fixed gas piping and bayonet socket without contravening the mandatory separation distances from electric services.

Sponsored Links
To answer the question why 1.2m is too short:

Cooker is 700mm wide slot-in, with its gas inlet is at extreme top right. Bayonet outlet is at left side of cooker, and also 220mm lower.

The ideal access arrangement is to pull cooker forward clear of the worktop, and then swivel cooker round enough to enable a person to get in behind it - without have to first unplug the bayonet fitting every time.

It is just about possible to do this with a standard 1.2m hose, but it will put some very tight bends in the hose. A 1.5m hose is much more comfortable. (However, a 1.8m hose would drag on the floor when the cooker is pushed into its slot.)

In this installation it happens to be difficult to move/extend the fixed gas piping and bayonet socket without contravening the mandatory separation distances from electric services.

if it is difficult to meet the 25mm/150mm seperation when you alter the pipe, simply enclose the gas pipe in 19mm overflow pipe, if you read the relevant reg it does say the seperation distances should be kept but if not possible then it is acceptable to seperate the pipe/cable/switch by insulating the pipe or cable, you could argue in this case that it was merited as you need to be able to access the bayonet

Kirkgas is correct that insulating the gas pipe (and fittings) could work around the separation problem, and allow the supply to be extended. However, it seemed to me that using a 1.5m catering hose would be cheaper and easier, and is a neat solution.

Information I didn't tell you is that the catering hose is already on site ready for the gas installer. I just wanted to make a last minute check that we weren't about to contravene some reg or code of practice that I was unaware of. I can't see anything in the regs or Corgi guides that say you can't use a catering hose in a domestic instal, but neither can I see it written that you can.

Just re-read BS 6172 (installing domestic cookers).

Para 11.2.2 states "Any flexible connector shall conform to BS 699-1".

So, does not seem to include BS 699-2 catering hoses! Therefore possibly excludes them?

Your cooker connection point should only be fitted in the shaded area specified in the instruction book, fitting anywhere else is against the gas regs.

First rule of gas regs - "Install to manufacturers instructions".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back