Using heat from a compost heap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure which department this subject should appear in so I took a lucky dip.

Has anybody out there in the big wide UK used compost to generate heat to, say, generate the primary heat for the hot water cylinder or even rads?

I have access to huge amounts of compost/ manure (goat & sheep crap).

What got me thinking was one day a few months ago I borrowed the work therm-probe and dug down about a foot into the existing manure pile we have to check the temperature. To my amazement the heat was 57 degrees. When I got back inside I filled the washing up bowl with water to the same temperature and I can't believe how warm it is.

I have travelled the WWW and all you end up with is these firms trying to sell you stuff with their pokey little pop up ads. What I want is somebody who has actually carried out such a project using bog-standard stuff like you will find in Wickes or B&Q's or the usual trade wholesalers. Stuff like how far it was from the house, what hose/ pipe, pump/ heat exchanger was used. Any BTU calc's (in Janet & John language)

Any links, info will be gratefully received.

Thankyou :idea:

Sponsored Links
Doesn't the compost heap need that heat to kill any pathogens?
If you cool it down too much it may not be a compost heap anymore.

The compost heap would not be able to generate the heat quickly enough.
Why not just build your house ontop of it?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back