Using loft insulation in cavities?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, not the intended use, but it seems like such a cheap way to do my garage, with B&Q offing rolls at £3 for 5.5sqm.

I'll be doing the roof of the garage with it, but my quota of 18 rolls would give me enough to do the walls too.

Any obvious problems, aside from it wanting to slump over time?

Sponsored Links
Is this a proper garage conversion?

Its not very good at insulating, that's why you need to use about 3 layers or 100mm thk roof insulation roof when 1 layer of 100mm Celotex or similar would do the same job. If you're doing it to Building Regs it won't be accepted. Its cheap because its not very good.

No, it's for a prefab garage I had built a few weeks ago, which I will be using as a workshop for cars. More a bit of something to keep the chill out rather than make it habitable. The alternative would be polystyrene. I'll be panelling over it all with ply.

I did acquire some kingspan via freecycle which has done some of the walls.

Fill yer boots then. Insulation on its own will not keep a garage warmer than the outside unless it has a heat source.

Sponsored Links
Loft insulation does not have the water repellent that wall insulation has. And it may not have the same k value as a similar thickness of proper wall insualtion

bit nearer 1.5:1 when aged

R-values

Material m2·K/(W·in)

Fiberglass batts R-3.1–R-4.3

Foil-faced polyisocyanurate rigid panel (pentane expanded ) initial R-6.8

Foil-faced polyisocyanurate rigid panel (pentane expanded) aged 5–10 years R-5.5

Thanks everyone for the constructive replies. It seems B&Q are no longer stocking the lagging, so that kind of answers that any way.

The moisture repellent issue is noted however, as well as the relative thermal properties. Some of it has been done with foil faced PIR as I picked some up from FreeCycle, but the budget is very tight, and when all is said and done, its just a garage, so I think that probably the most cost effective thing to do is to use 25mm polystyrene in the hollows in the walls and then sheet over the top with more 25mm polystyrene and panel over the top of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back