Using slightly different sized tiles, is this possible ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a bathroom to tile and the Mrs. has picked out the ones she wants. I'm going to be getting someone in to do the job and paying so it's not really a DIY question I suppose. *ashamed*

We are having two lines of black(ish) tiles going down the wall and the rest of them a white(ish) colour. The black tiles are around 10mm shorter in width/height than the white ones, because it's a vertical column of the mismatched tiles the width doesn't really matter but the height, I think, is going to be a problem. I'm being told by my uncle that it's impossible to get it to work because the grout lines wont line up and it'll get progressively worse the further it goes up the wall.

I want a second opinion and need to know is if we should pick a different "feature" tile that matches the height of the "regular" tiles or if it's possible for a professional tiler to do something magical with the grouting, or whatever, so that the height difference isn't noticeable.

I'm a total novice so sorry if this question isn't detailed enough.

Sponsored Links
one grout line will be 3mm the other will be 13mm
what do you think :eek: :eek:

if you progressively stagger the joins it will be just as bad

Had a bit of a brainwave... Not sure this will work either but it seems to be the most logical solution to the problem.

The grout on the feature tiles is going to be dark so it's not like you'll be able to see the grout on these at a glance. Slice one of the feature tiles in half and start the vertical feature line offset to the other grout line, I know it'll gradually approach the other grout line with each tile but I don't think it'll be all that noticeable unless you're actually looking for it. We could absorb a little bit of the difference that way too, so they don't approach each other as quickly.

How's about that ? Any good ?

shiny flat tiles and rough mat black grout will stick out like a sore thumb :eek: :eek:
this has to be a wind up :confused:

Sponsored Links
All the tiles are flat, all of the tiles are shiny and all the grout is matte. That's "matte" as in a lack of shine as opposed to a "mat" which is what people wipe their feet on! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your entirely unhelpful "input" ... One good thing to come from your responses though is it made me phone up a professional tiler to see what he thought.

He's said that offsetting the tiles should work and the height difference would be relatively simple to hide because the grouting on these feature lines isn't lining up with the grout for the rest of the tiles. He also said that if we purchase everything, he sees everything and he doesn't think it will work then at that stage I can just take the tiles back and go for something else. So I'm not going to lose out anyway, it's a case of nothing ventured nothing gained.

I'll make a point to avoid this forum in the future and just go direct to a professional who knows what they are talking about and can offer valuable insight in to the job... Feel free to post another negative comment in response, I'll never read it anyway. :LOL:

Cya!

well my input is genuine if i am wrong i am sorry but never unhelpfull its not my nature i just don't think it will look right but iff you are happy with it nice one :D

would anyone else care to comment if i am wrong i am wrong and need to be corrected as i am always learning ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back